Sigma Xi has a long history of acknowledging scientific research excellence with the purpose of supporting companions in zealous research. Each year, a select group of members will receive the added distinction of becoming a Fellow of Sigma Xi. This distinction will be awarded on a competitive basis to members who have been recognized by their peers for exceptional contributions to the scientific enterprise.
- An active (dues-paying) full member for the last ten years continuously or a life member
- Distinguished service to Sigma Xi (e.g. served on a Sigma Xi committee or task force, created or reinvigorated a chapter, provided exceptional service to a chapter)
- Significant contributions to several of the following areas of the scientific enterprise:
- research or development
- teaching and curricular innovation
- science advocacy
- Two letters of support from active Full or Associate members (600 words max) describing evidence of meeting the criteria listed above.