2023 Blue Star Funds:
Funding period: April 1, 2023 - May 31, 2024
2023-24 Blue Star Fund grants applications are by invitation only from McKee Wellness Foundation.
Grantees must ensure appropriate accounting practices and procedures for tracking of grant funds.
Funding considerations will be given to:
1. Direct service nonprofit organizations that provide health and wellness services to veterans and military families who would otherwise be unable to afford care.
2. Direct service nonprofit organizations that provide veterans and military families with emergency assistance for health and wellness needs such as medical bills, copays, medical devices, wellness programming, transportation to medical appointments, and similar needs.
Veterans serve through Blue Star Funds must have a valid Form DD214 indicating they were honorably discharged, or funds may support military members who are currently serving.
Veterans/military families must fall at or below 400% of the current federal poverty level. Upon recommendation by the grantee, on a case by case basis, McKee Wellness Foundation Executive Director may approve the use of funds for veterans who do not meet the federal poverty level requirement.
Recommended financial verification for individual assistance grants includes: most recent tax return, two most recent pay stubs, housing or services application.
Eligible veterans may apply for up to $1,000 in grant assistance once per twelve-month period. Grant applications are managed and reviewed by the grantee.
Individual emergency distribution of grants shall not exceed $1,000 per 12-month period.
Quarterly reports from the grantee are required, and due in accordance with the following schedule:
Quarter 1 - 7/15/23
Quarter 2 - 10/15/23
Quarter 3 - 1/15/24
Quarter 4 - 4/15/24
Grant Uses (including, but not limited to:)
- Medical co-pays; prescriptions and insurance premiums
- Holistic pain management
- Dental care
- Non-covered health expenses: massage, acupuncture, etc.
- Mental health visits
- Household: rent, mortgage, car payments, utilities and telephone expenses
- Access to care: such as gas/transportation, day care, respite care
- Research: to reduce barriers for participation in research
- Personal wellness: haircuts, clothing, fitness support
- Education: certificates, trainings, class work, books
Documents to be returned to McKee Wellness Foundation:
- Acceptance agreement for the grant (must be completed prior to grant distribution)
- Grant quarterly reports
- Annual report