Welcome to the registration of the Michigan Department of Education's African American Student Initiative (AASI) Phase 1.
We'll be offering 5 sessions in the Fall OR the same 5 sessions in the Spring.
Fall meets September 2022 - January 2023
Spring meets February 2023 - June 2023.
Select only ONE group to participate for Phase 1.
Dates and times are listed below for each group.
You may only select dates from within the group.
For your convenience, there are multiple dates within each month.
Note the content will be the same for each session during the month.
- be 35 persons or less on each date
- be held from 9:00am - 1:30pm
- be online via zoom (or a potential for hybrid online/in-person may be available)
- require district commitment and signature approval if participant is from a school/district
- require the text "We Want To Do More Than Survive: Abolitionist Teaching and the Pursuit of
Educational Freedom" by Bettina Love
- require a brief (2-3 min) section presentation from text
- require a reflective and integrated action plan for personal/professional growth to be completed by each particpant
- be awarded a total of 34 SCECHs at the end of the 5 sessions (based on synchronous and asynchronous
If you register and are NOT associated with a school, district of ISD that is designated as a CSI, TSI, or ATS* school, a $200.00 total fee will be invoiced at the completion of the 5 sessions.
Please note: If you are unable to fulfill the attendance obligation for all 5 sessions, you must notify MDE staff seven (7) days prior to the Fall 2022 start date or seven (7) days prior to the Spring 2023 start date to avoid a $200.00 cancellation fee.
A $200.00 cancellation fee will be assessed for any registrant unable to fulfill training commitment (extenuating circumstances apply. Please contact MDE staff for more information.)
*CSI = comprehensive support improvement; TSI = targeted support improvement; ATS = additional targeted support