Thank you for your interest in joining the Wholesale & Specialty Insurance Association (WSIA). The information included in this application will be reviewed by WSIA’s Membership & Ethics Committee and must be approved by the WSIA Board of Directors as required by the Association’s bylaws. All information provided in the application is confidential among the WSIA team, Membership & Ethics Committee and Board of Directors. Submission of this application does not constitute automatic acceptance of membership.
A U.S. Insurance Market Member is a risk-bearing entity incorporated or organized in any jurisdiction within the United States and engaged in the underwriting of insurance or having delegated underwriting authority and selling principally through wholesalers. U.S. Insurance Market Members must transact a substantial portion of their insurance business with unaffiliated firms. Managing general agents and underwriting managers may be accepted if they have delegated underwriting authority with at least one market that is an existing U.S. Insurance Market Member or Associate Member. This category shall include, but is not limited to, insurance companies and managing general agents or underwriting managers selling to U.S. wholesalers.
- U.S.-based entity
- Experience operating in the wholesale insurance business under its current ownership and management for at least two years.
- At least 51% of annual premium volume must be derived from wholesale agents and brokers.
- At least 51% of annual premium volume must be derived from unaffiliated agents and brokers.
- Obtain two references from current WSIA voting member firms.
If a risk bearer, the following membership criteria will apply:
- Have a secure rating from A.M. Best or equivalent rating from another recognized rating service.
- $5 million minimum annual premium volume.
- Capital and surplus at minimum of (1) $15 million or (2) requirements in insurer’s state of domicile.
- Net premium to surplus ration not to exceed 3 to 1.
If a delegated authority, the following membership criteria will apply:
- Must be directly appointed by one market that is an existing Insurance Market Member or Associate Member.
- At least 51% of annual premium volume must be placed with unaffiliated insurance markets.
PLEASE NOTE: For purposes of this application, affiliation is defined as relationships with business partners with common ownership. Business partners are general not assumed to be affiliated because they have contractual relationships or binding authority from a business partner with no common ownership.